Monday, May 9, 2011

Designer Water, the Ojai Way

There wasn't a shrub or a blade of grass anywhere on the half-acre I bought in 1995, so the idea that this barren patch was included on the annual Ojai Garden Tour this year is supremely ironic. But there I was yesterday, greeting more than 200 visitors who traipsed through my garden admiring the landscape. "Oh," I could have said, feigning modesty, "it was nothing." Right. Nothing but years of hard labor, a truckload of boulders, river rock and gravel, dozens of trees, miles of irrigation lines, 30 cubic yards of mulch and an egregious amount of fertilizer.


But I never question if it was all worth it. It was and is and will always be worth all the expense and time. This garden is my sanctuary and a quiet respite for contemplation. There's enough space for entertaining, and the citrus and fruit trees, herbs and veggie beds are a source of edible treats year-round.

In the shade of the pergola, I set up a decorative urn of cool water flavored with sliced oranges, lemons and cucumber. I discovered this infusion years ago at Spa Ojai where guests love this simple but refreshing thirst-quencher. I added about a dozen slices each of Meyer Lemon and Blood Orange from the garden, plus an equal amount of peeled and sliced cucumber to two gallons of filtered tap water. I keep a small jug of this lovely water in the refrigerator all summer, and it's a tonic on a hot day when I'm working in the garden.

2 comments:

  1. Though I never saw the empty lot I have had the honor and delight to spend some time in your 'garden of paradise'. What a treat and Merrill all your hard work & effort has paid off in the most magical & peaceful way, thank you for sharing it with us! P.S. I just love this new blog of your's and I will being making some infused water soon. Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Though I never saw the empty lot I have had the honor & delight to spend some time in your 'garden of paradise'. What a treat and Merrill all your hard work and effort has paid off in the most magical & peaceful way, thank you for sharing it with us! P.S. I just love this new blog of your's and I will being making some infused water soon. Lynn

    ReplyDelete