Saturday, August 27, 2011

Gourmet Tomato Tasting

I promise this is the end of the tomato rant. I had even promised myself that tomatoes were getting beyond boring, until I spied an announcement in the local newspaper: "Tomato Tasting!"

My favorite nursery had invited an expert vegetable gardener to display his best tomatoes, and offer tastes of as many varieties as one could consume. Almost as good as a wine tasting, but not as snooty.
There were purple-black, pale yellow, brilliant orange, green, red and striped tomatoes in all shapes and sizes. Some tasted bland, some very acidic, and some were full-bodied and complex, just like a good wine. But my favorite was the pale orange 'Garden Peach' tomato that was as sweet as candy. Maybe I'll try that next summer.

But in the meantime, my Satsuma plum tree is loaded with plums, and so a new rant begins.


No comments:

Post a Comment