Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Harry Potter on my Mind

In a couple of weeks my granddaughter and I are headed to The Wizarding World of Harry Potter theme park in Orlando, Florida. The trip is in honor of her tenth birthday, a present I have promised both my grandkids when their age flips over to double digits. She has read the entire Harry Potter book series and seen all the films; she also started a Harry Potter Fan Club at her school. She is an expert in Hogwarts, Sorting Hats and Quidditch.

And it's a good thing because she and I will be joining a group of other grandparents and kids to spend five days exploring this world of spells, potions and magic. We'll visit Hogsmeade, take a ride on the Hippogriff, buy a magic wand, dig into the hidden meanings of the books, and eat all of Harry Potter's favorite foods like treacle fudge and butter beer at The Three Broomsticks restaurant.

I've been feverishly playing catchup because I until recently, I didn't know a thing about the Harry Potter world. Yesterday I managed to finish the third book in the Potter series in one sitting, then dashed off to the store to replenish the larder which was down to Mother Hubbard standards. Imagine my surprise to stumble upon this item at my local market: Flying Cauldron Butterscotch Beer!


Touted by the manufacturer as a "magical brew for under-aged wizards and unrealized wizards alike...known to accelerate wizarding abilities in borderline wizard cases." That's the tonic for me, I thought. so I grabbed a four-pack and headed home, confident that after a few bottles I would not shame my granddaughter with my ignorance.

Tucked into the tongue-in-cheek back story on the packaging was this:

Giggle Potion Recipe

1 ice cold bottle of Butterscotch Beer
1 scoop of vanilla ice cream

Chill down a nice beer mug in the freezer. Put a scoop of ice cream in the glass. Slowly pour the Butterscotch Beer over the ice cream. Watch out for an attack of delicious foam.
 A delightful explosion of creamy vanilla and butterscotch flavors for wannabe wizards anywhere.

1 comment: