Thursday, March 17, 2011

Ahi Marinade: Lost and Found

A couple of summers ago, I got hooked on a marinade for ahi tuna that my friend Alicia -- who owns Ideal Seafood in Ojai -- had given me, and I used the recipe at least a million times during the grilling season. And then I didn't. The seasons changed, I got out of the habit, and I guess the hand-written recipe just disappeared into an unmanageable pile of loose recipes in my kitchen.

All it took was for me to spy a perfect piece of ahi in the market the other day, and I was suddenly lusting for that marinade. I spent the morning shuffling through the recipe pile to no avail, started to contact Alicia and suddenly found it safely tucked into a binder, filed exactly where it belonged.

Tuna Marinade

2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
2 Tablespoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon fresh garlic, chopped
2 teaspoons sesame or olive oil

Blend all ingredients and marinate fish in the mixture for at least 15 minutes. Sear the tuna in a very hot pan or over high heat on the grill for about 30 seconds on each side. Reduce heat, pour a little extra marinade over the tuna, and cook on low about 3 minutes, turning once. The ahi is done when it feels soft when prodded with a fork and is still pink on the inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment