Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Strawberry Salsa

There’s nothing like a visit to the local farmers’ market in the spring. Even in California where the markets stay full of produce throughout the year, spring is a sensory treat. When I moved to the Golden State some 44 years ago, the new strawberry crop heralded the coming of warmer weather when the fields were picked in late February or early March. For three or four months my family and I gorged on strawberries to consume as much as we could before the growing season ended.

But now, strawberries are grown year-round in various locations, so some of the thrill of the opening of strawberry season is gone. But it all came back to me this morning when I spied a farmer’s booth absolutely groaning under the weight of plump, bright red, voluptuous strawberries!



These gems were grown up in Santa Maria, a couple of hours north of Ojai where the climate is always a little cooler and the rich farmland yields a bumper crop year after year. “March is when they’re really the best,” said the grower, so I treated myself to a 3-pack which is a lot for one person, but I will use them at every possible opportunity.

Of course, I’ll do the usual: slice them over my breakfast cereal, and make simple desserts of sliced berries sprinkled with a little lavender sugar, or slathered in whipped cream on shortcake. But tonight I’m going to make a batch of strawberry salsa that will be tasty as a garnish on grilled salmon.

Strawberry Salsa

Prepare at least one hour before serving.

1 Seedless cucumber, finely chopped
1 Green onion, thinly sliced
1 Tablespoon cilantro, chopped or cut into thin strips
1 Yellow pepper, finely chopped
4 Tablespoons rice wine vinegar
2 Cups (about a pint) fresh strawberries, hulled and diced small

Mix the cucumber, green onion, cilantro, yellow pepper and vinegar. Cover and chill at least one hour. Just before serving, add the strawberries. Serve over grilled fish or any poultry that begs for a little crunch and color. This is a very light salsa, not one that will hold its own against strong flavors like barbecued beef.


No comments:

Post a Comment