Thursday, March 31, 2011

Asparagus to the Rescue!

This time last week, we were all but drowning. A series of powerful storm cells had been pounding California one after the other bringing sideways rain, fierce winds and temperatures far below normal. My garden, the one I'd promised to the local garden tour for its May event, was literally underwater and all the new spring growth was in danger of freezing back. In my vegetable beds, I could hear my new lettuces gasping for air, and I was helpless to save their young lives. I'd have to start all over again.

Most of the country suffers through nasty weather in March, but I felt we had been singled out. On the first sunny Sunday, after way too many days of torrential rain, I took my deflated spirits to the local farmer's market to see what produce had survived the wreckage. Strawberries looked a little battered. Spinach didn't look too bad, and the citrus was fine. And then there was the asparagus. Tough enough to survive all manner of bad weather, tender enough to be picked, and ready to be eaten.

White asparagus, cultivated asparagus, and wild asparagus.

One of the harbingers of spring, asparagus is a seasonal treat I look forward to every year. When it is first available, I like to make an asparagus soup, and later in the season I love it roasted in the oven or grilled outdoors. One of my favorite marinades combines 3 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar, 2 tablespoons of lemon juice, 1 tablespoon of soy sauce and a little black pepper. I marinate a pound of asparagus for about a half hour, then toss them on a well-oiled grill for about 5 minutes on each side.

At the market, I grabbed a few pounds of the spears and, spirits lifted, headed home to make my favorite spring soup.

Cream of Asparagus Soup

1/4 Cup unsalted butter
1 Onion, chopped
3 Stalks celery, chopped
3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
4-5 Cups low sodium chicken broth
1 small-medium Russet potato, peeled and diced
1 Pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and coarsely chopped. Reserve 6 tips for garnish.
3/4 Cup half-and-half
1/4 Teaspoon white pepper

Melt the butter in a stock pot. Add onions and celery and saute under tender, about 4 minutes. Stir in the flour, mixing well. Cook for about a minute, stirring constantly. Add the broth and stir until smooth. Bring to a boil. Add the potatoes and asparagus. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 20 minutes.

Puree the soup in a food processor and return to the pot, or use an immersion blender right in the pot.

Stir in the half-and-half and the white pepper. Bring soup just to a boil, adjust the seasonings and serve hot, garnished with the reserved asparagus tips. Serves 6.


The potato, onion and asparagus give this soup an earthy taste that I love at this time of year. Getting back to the earth, welcoming the growing season -- it's just right for me. This soup pairs well with the grassy, herbal notes in a Sauvignon Blanc.

1 comment:

  1. This looks delicious, Merrill. Once we shovel out from yesterday's April Fool's storm, this might be just the cure for our "is-spring-EVER-coming?" blues!

    ReplyDelete