Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Dependable Rosemary

I have a lot of rosemary in my garden, at least three or four different kinds, and they all are trouble-free and dependable, practically bullet-proof. With their woody branches, gnarly trunks, and pine needle-like leaves, they withstand winter's frosts and summer's scorching heat.


This one is probably Rosmarinus officanalis 'Ken Taylor,' a stalwart soldier that blooms year-round, even in the winter before anything else dares. Rosemary blossoms are tiny, but the plant covers itself in a blanket of blue which makes a beautiful showing in the garden. It is very drought-resistant -- a good thing in California's Mediterranean climate. Every 3-4 months, I take the electric hedger to it and whack it back into shape.

I like to throw a sprig or two on the barbecue when I'm grilling lamb chops or lamb burgers. Rosemary's pungent fragrance is a wonderful flavor addition to these meats. Once, in an effort to impress guests, I copied a trick I'd learned from Martha Stewart: I selected several straight and sturdy rosemary branches, stripped off the leaves, and threaded chunks of lamb shoulder on them to make a marvelous shish kebab.

No comments:

Post a Comment